The Soil Health Institute (SHI) Action Teams serve as a ready resource of expertise that enables the Institute to focus on innovative, real-world applications and benefits. SHI relies on the informed guidance of these vital action teams to advance soil health:
Action Team Chairs: Dr. Doug Karlen and Dr. Janice Thies
The Research Action Team works with the Chief Scientific Officer to:
- Identify gaps in soil health research.
- Construct research road maps.
- Develop rigorous protocols related to grant proposal evaluations and assessment of outcomes.
- Provide global reach and access; attracting the best of the best to solve soil’s most pressing issues.
Inform and guide procedures to deliver research results to users that need them.
MEASUREMENTS AND STANDARDS
Action Team Chairs: Dr. David Myrold and Dr. Diane Stott
The Measurements, Standards and Assessments Action Team works with the Chief Scientific Officer to:
- Establish national soil health measurement standards based on regional characteristics and partner insight.
- Ensure standards are fundamental, supporting research priorities, laboratory proficiencies and producer implementation.
- Promote soil health measurement standards to benefit producers and conservation efforts.
- Provide expert guidance to design, develop, and implement the National Soil Health Assessment.
Action Team Chairs: Matt Bechdol and Becky Doyle
The Economics Action Team works with SHI to:
- Bridge the information gap, inform methodologies to determine economic impact and increase awareness of the costs and benefits of soil health practices.
- Guide and inform the economic analysis of research projects funded through the Institute.
- Guide and evaluate decision tools that are made available for producers.
- Provide economics information that is important for influencing adoption and use of soil health practices.
Action Team Chairs: Dr. Timothy Griffin and Dr. Rob Myers
The Public Policy Action Team works with SHI to:
- Guide how SHI analyzes the impact of public policies on soil health.
- Examine policies for their impact on stewardship and highlight opportunities for creative market-based solutions, keeping in mind key principles of self-regulation, personal property rights and free trade.
- Guide SHI on its policy positions, keeping in focus the American agriculture system where freedom, opportunity, prosperity and civil society flourish.
- Endeavor that America’s agriculture system continues to provide a stabilized backbone of domestic food security, tools for international relations and international food security, a productive and sustainable industry for the domestic economy, and a focal point of technology, research and innovation.
COMMUNICATIONS AND EDUCATION
Action Team Chairs: Beth Mason
The Communications and Education Action Team works with SHI to:
- Serve as a central hub for communications and education regarding soil health research and soil related information.
- Guiding the communications and education activities that support the Institute’s activities.